Thursday, February 7, 2013

Going Home


Nulli's latest picture over on her website was one that, at first, didn't really inspire much of anything for me. Granted, I think I've lived down that road or at least traveled down it. American Beech trees are fairly prevalent in this area and lots of folks line their drives with them because their white trunks are pretty. So, while it was familiar, it really didn't strike any particular chord with me.

And then, last night as I'm fighting to stay asleep due to a horrible sinus headache, I realized that I'm not the only one who would have grown up with similar memories. I created Alicia and made her a southern girl from the same general area that I am. She would also have that same sense of home. Her mother, still living in the south, might even live at the end of one of those beech lined paths. And so the glimpse into Alicia's life began...

xxxxxx
Characters:    Blake and Alicia
World:            After the Reveal
Word Count:  256
Prompt:          Picture - A narrow path lined by beech trees
xxxxxx


Alicia fiddled with the strap of her purse as Blake drove along the narrow, deserted lane. The white trunks of the beech trees lined the road like silent, watchful sentries; their branches spread overhead to create a loose canopy, giving the bumpy road a tunnel-like atmosphere. As memories of the last time she’d seen her mother crowded into her mind, she felt the shiver race down her spine. She could almost feel the encroaching trunks and taunting shadows pressing against her, reminding her of a past that very nearly cost her everything.

“Are you going to be all right, beautiful?”

The soothing voice of her mate washed over her, banishing the hurtful memories and choking feeling. Glancing over, she caught the worry in his dark brown eyes and gave him a weak, but reassuring smile.

“I’ll be okay. I promised Daddy I’d check on her. I didn’t realize it’d dredge up the past quite so vividly.”

He brushed his fingers across her cheek and down her neck, lingering on the healed bite he’d given her just that morning. She shivered again, her smile growing more genuine at his gentle touch. He knew how sensitive she was after he bit her and that the slightest touch produced memories that were definitely inappropriate for a visit to her mother. She shook her head at his smug, unrepentant grin and returned her gaze to the path before them. The trees and shadows no longer intimidated her. Nothing could hurt her as long as her vampire was by her side.

No comments:

Post a Comment